Whatcha looking for?



Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Completely Off Topic.

There will be no posting this evening because I am a bit preoccupied... due to the fact that I am crazy.

I lost my beloved kitty of 8 1/2 years one month ago yesterday. It is hard for me to believe that it has been one month that my house has been devoid of her presence, but at the same time, it seems like it has been ages since I have been able to pet her, kiss her, pick her up...

So my parents live about an hour and a half south of me. Just far enough, but just close enough. You know what I mean. A couple of weeks ago, my mom started texting pictures of a stray cat that showed up at her work. Long story short, this kitty is pregnant. My mom's coworkers found out that an elderly gay couple had been caring for her too. They asked them yesterday how long they had been seeing her around. They said she showed up out of nowhere a month ago and has been attached ever since.

Again, another long story short, no one could take her. She was living outside amongst speeding cars and we have been having crazy thunderstorms lately. I was worried sick. Then an animal catcher came by yesterday and told my mom that if they couldn't find her a home that they would take her away.

So now, I am the proud foster mom of a pregnant kitty. I have no idea how far along she is. I tried to feel her babies; they seem to be the size of mice. I think I can feel two. My mom's coworkers named the kitty Iris. She is very small and probably about eight months old. She made the hour and a half drive from my parents' house to mine by sleeping on my dashboard. Unsafe, I know. But I left straight from work to get her. I felt like I couldn't wait any longer.

So beware, even though this is a blog about designer HUMAN baby things, I am sure to be posting pictures of Iris's babies when she has them. Everyone deserves a chance, right? I am not ready for a new cat permanently. It has only been one month. But this just seemed uncanny. No one could provide a safe home for her, and I can. So bring on the kittens. Even though cats eat their own placentas and I faint when I get nosebleeds. Nothing a bottle of wine can't help with, right?

PS... anyone who has advice about pregnant cats, kittens, the birthing process, etc... feel free to comment. I may be a bit nervous :)

1 comment:

  1. CATS DO IT ALL THEMSELVES WITH LITTLE NEED FOR HELP. JUST GET A LARGE CARDBOARD BOX AND SOME OLD TOWELS. IF SHE LOOKS LIKE SHE IS IN LABOR PUT HER IN IT. IF SHE HAS THE BABIES UNDER YOUR BED OR IN THE CLOSET (MOST LIKELY TO HAPPEN) JUST PICK THEM ALL UP AND PUT THEM IN THE BOX. IF SHE FEELS SAFE SHE WILL NOT MOVE THEM.

    ReplyDelete